Café Physique

If you struggle to maintain a healthy lifestyle or just don’t know where to start, Café Physique is a spot you can visit daily to get info on food & fitness from someone who lives by the More or Less Philosophy – Just do a little more of the good things & a bit less of the not-so-good things, and you’ll be on your way to achieving your healthy living goals. So, make yourself at home in this virtual café where you really can "have your cake and eat it too"...more or less.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, United States

I'm a 32 year old fitness professional with a passion for healthy living, a certified pilates instructor & personal trainer, and a member of IDEA Health & Fitness Association. I am also the owner of Cafe Physique, an Atlanta-based fitness and nutrition company specializing in studio and in-home personal training, Pilates, yoga and personalized nutrition counseling (www.CafePhysique.com). If this is your 1st time "dining" at Café Physique, please dig right in! Leave comments, ask questions and enjoy this Healthy Living experience.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

You WORK too much

By sprout wellness at growhealthywithsprout.com - A borrowed post that says everything that I've been thinking but never took the time to say:

so i’ve been thinking about how awful it is that more and more people i come across no longer take a lunch break at work. they eat at their desks, go to the vending machine, or sometimes skip lunch altogether. i could maybe maybe maybe get on board with this new shift IF people were working from like 11 to 3 or 4 (or even just making their own hours and schedules). but when you’re working from 8 or 9 to 5 or 6, that’s absurd. how and why are people just letting this happen? i mean, i don’t really get how we allow a lot of things to happen. but being worked into sickness is on a really weird level, because NO one i talk to has any problem with it. at all. they think it’s no big deal. um, really?

i stumbled across this article that makes all of the points i would have. here you go:

  • Almost a third of working Americans (28 percent) took no vacation time at all; half took a week or less; and two-thirds got less than two weeks off. The median vacation time: 8.2 days, far below the three weeks most cited as the needed amount of time-off to prevent burnout.
  • The eighth annual Expedia.com vacation survey backs that up, reporting for “the eighth consecutive year, Americans received and used the smallest amount of vacation time among their (European) counterparts abroad.”
  • Even worse, despite reporting an average of 14 paid vacation days again this year, about a third of employed U.S. adults will not even use all the vacation days they do get.
  • “Again this year, employed U.S. adults will leave an average of three vacation days on the table, in essence giving back more than 460 million vacation days in 2008. Despite these statistics, Americans do see the value in vacation, with more than one-third (39 percent) reporting they feel more productive and better about their job upon returning from vacation and 52 percent claiming to feel rested, rejuvenated and reconnected to their personal life.”
  • And even when Americans do take vacation, 24 percent “report that they check work e-mail or voicemail while vacationing.” That’s up from 16 percent in 2005.
  • Men who don’t take regular vacations are 32 percent more likely to suffer from heart disease than those who do, and women are 50 percent more likely.

and the worst part by far was actually written in the comment section, by a man named mike burns:

“I have not had a vacation for nine years. My employer can’t afford to give us any. I work for the Oil and Gas industry. In that time, I have lost a family through divorce, and had two heart attacks. I had a quadruple by pass surgery on my heart.
All I did wrong was work. I am still working. Right now, my plan is to die on the job. I am 54. Work is all I have left.
I am living the American dream. I will not hold my breath for O’bama to do anything different. I lost my first marriage when Clinton was in office and that is when I had my first chest pains. The reason? I worked. I am still living the Reagan Revolution. I don’t think the Reagan Revolution will die before I do.”

it’s heartbreaking. but on some level, it’s our own fault.

Labels: , ,

BlinkList del.icio.us Digg it Furl ma.gnolia RawSugar Shadows Simpy Spurl Yahoo MyWeb


Google Reader or Homepage
del.icio.us Café Physique
Add to My Yahoo!
Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe in NewsGator Online

myFeedster
Add to My AOL
Furl Café Physique
Subscribe in Rojo